During Jon’s leadership on the Board of Trustees, the Escondido Union High School District has remained fiscally solvent while meeting the needs of thousands of Escondido high school students. To that end, Jon has . . .
- Overseen millions of dollars in CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS that include the construction of Valley High School, Del Lago Academy, the Learning Centers at each comprehensive site, and extensive renovations of each campus in the district. Capital facility improvements include appropriate fencing and other improvements to enhance the safety and security of our students.
- Led the board in the development of DEL LAGO ACADEMY, an innovative magnet school focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
- Provided quality vocational education for students by adding CAREER-TECHNICAL (CTE) classes and programs throughout the district, which benefits both college-bound students and students who will enter the workforce directly after high school. Please click here to learn more about our CTE programs.
- Enhanced SAFE AND SECURE CAMPUSES through extra campus supervisors, a School Resource Officer, the Raptor Visitor Management System, and the establishment of Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports throughout the district.
- Developed an MOU with the City of Escondido to plan and fund a much-needed AQUATICS CENTER for the benefit of both our students and the community at large.
- Provided options for students who need something other than the traditional campus setting by establishing expanded independent-study programs at LEARNING CENTERS that still allow for students to access sports and extra-curricular activities at the comprehensive sites.
- Provided for energy efficiency through the installation of SOLAR POWER throughout the district and by acquiring ELECTRIC SCHOOL BUSES.
- Established a 1:1 laptop initiative, ensuring that all students have the technology they need to be successful.
- Provided for Teachers on Special Assignment and professional learning opportunities to ensure our teachers remain cutting-edge.
- Promoted a COLLEGE-GOING CULTURE by offering a full complement of A-G courses, counseling support for students, support programs such as AVID, and paying Advanced Placement exam fees for students.
- Established a MIDDLE COLLEGE program at Orange Glen High School in partnership with Palomar College, allowing students to earn college credit while in high school.
- Established WELLNESS CENTERS on campus to serve the emotional and mental-health needs of students, as well as increase social workers and mental health support staff.
- Increased services and opportunities for adults in the community by expanding enrollment and course offerings in ADULT EDUCATION.